Heritage and background
ifs University College was founded in 1879 as the Institute of Bankers, gained Royal Charter in 1987 and in 1996 developed the first professional award linked to a university degree. In 1997 the name was changed to the Institute of Financial Services (ifs), reflecting a broadening of our offering. We became ifs University College in 2013.
Since gaining Taught Degree Awarding Powers (TDAP) in 2010, we have been successful in establishing a full-time degree programme at our City of London campus, as well as enhancing our offer of part-time qualifications to existing financial professionals and financial capability qualifications to 14-19 year olds.
Vision & Strategy Development
In early 2015, we commenced a strategic review of the entire organisation. The objective of the review was to establish a new vision and a five year strategy for making that vision a reality. The review identified a number of key strengths of the organisation and market needs upon which to build, including:
- Increasing demand for education within banking and finance, in the UK and internationally
- A unique location in the City of London and strong links to financial services institutions
- A loyal and supportive membership and widespread appreciation for the quality of programmes
In late 2015 the ifs University College trustees agreed the new vision:
To be an internationally recognised organisation delivering outstanding financial education
- delivering highly regarded and distinctive degree programmes and professional qualifications, nationally and internationally
- supporting the development of those who aspire to work in financial services
- enhancing financial skills and capability and broaden our outreach in the wider community
- producing research and thought leadership to promote the advancement of members of our community, the financial services industry and society as a whole
One of the key recommendations of the review was to introduce a new name - a name that is aligned to this vision and that speaks to the breadth and uniqueness of our provision in both academic and professional financial education. Read more about how we chose our new name.