Angel is an international senior executive, banker and strategist. He has a background in leading teams, aligning strategy and finance with excellent execution for organic/inorganic growth, and transformation. Especially interested in digital and climate finance, he recently authored Strategy in Action (Springer, 2022).
Over 25 years in wholesale and retail banking across Europe, Middle-East and Africa, he has:
- headed the strategy and business development function at three multinational banks – Barclays, Lloyds and Wells Fargo, and
- provided consulting and advisory across the financial services industry, including McKinsey, AG S&P.
He’s also run businesses, $5bn book in wholesale banking at Al Hilal Bank, agency treasury services at Lloyds and debt capital markets at SocGen.
Strategy and business development, corporate and investment banking, retail and commercial banking, fintech and digital transformation, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and partnerships.
- AG Strategy & Partners, Founder and Managing Partner: 2015–17 and 2021 – present
- Wells Fargo, SVP EMEA Strategy – Wholesale & International Banking: 2018–20
- Al Hilal Bank, SVP Head of Domestic Corporate Markets – Wholesale Banking: 2014–15
- Lloyds Bank, Head of Strategy & Business Development – Wholesale Banking & Markets and Corporate Banking divisions: London, 2009–12
- Lloyds Bank, Head of Strategy, Agency Treasury Services and Corporate Finance Financial Institutions: 2008–09
- Barclays Bank, Head of Business Development, International Retail & Commercial Banking: 2005–07
- Barclays Bank, Associate Director, Group Strategy & Planning: 2004–05
- McKinsey & Co, Management Consultant: 2001–04
- Société Générale, VP Debt Capital Markets/Credit Trading: Madrid, 1994–2000.
- PhD of Science in Business Administration, Financial Economy, IADE Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (cum laude): 1995–2004
- MBA, The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University (Fuqua Scholar, Dean’s List): 2000–22
- BSc in Business Administration (‘Licenciatura’), Economy & Business School, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Extraordinary Mention): Spain, 1992-1994
- Business Degree (‘Diplomatura’), Business School, Universidade da Coruña: 1989–92.
AG Strategy & Partners.
Strategy in action: a holistic management strategy framework to navigate businesses and multinational organisations
, Springer, April 2022.
View Dr Angel Gavieiro Besteiro’s LinkedIn profile
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of International Bankers, City of London
- Fuqua Scholar, Duke University
- Fulbright Scholar, JW Fulbright Programme.