James is a Fellow of the ICAEW and the ACT. He has some 30 years’ experience in treasury, corporate finance and risk management, working with international public and private organisations. James also has 10 years’ experience of directing a small, highly international service business, and developing and delivering professional qualifications in advanced finance for students in over 100 countries.
Besides his work with LIBF, James sources finance solutions for growing entrepreneurial businesses. He also chairs Alta Cyclotron Limited, the University of Birmingham’s commercial speciality chemicals business and he has just completed a non-executive role supporting Midland Heart, a leading social housing provider based in Birmingham.
- Business strategy evolution
- Financial and management accounting
- International cash management
- Corporate finance
- Financial risk management
- Samuel Advisory Limited, Associate: 2017 – present
- Midland Heart, Member, Finance and Growth Committee: 2017 – 2023
- University of Birmingham, Chairman, Alta Cyclotron Ltd: 2018 – present
- University of Birmingham, Lecturer, Birmingham Business School: 2017 – 2022
- University of Birmingham, Member, Investment Sub-Committee of the Finance Committee: 2015 – 2018
- Eurofinance, Trainer in Advanced Risk Management: 2017 – present
- Association of Corporate Treasurers, Associate Director, Director of Education and International Business Development, Development Director: 2006 – 2016
- Unipart Group Ltd, Head of Treasury: 1997 – 2005
- Burmah Castrol PLC, Corporate Finance Analyst, Treasury Operations Manager: 1992 – 1997
- Ernst & Young, Audit senior: 1990 – 1991
- Touche Ross & Co, Audit trainee, Auditor: 1985 - 1989
- Johnson Matthey PLC, Development Chemist: 1983 – 1985
- Regular Army, Troop Commander, Royal Engineers: 1976 - 1980.
- University of Bristol, BSc (Hons) Chemistry, class 2:1: 1980 – 1983
- Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst (Director's Prize for Professional Studies): 1976 – 1977.
- Fellow, ICAEW: 2017
- Fellow, Association of Corporate Treasurers: 2007
- MCT, Association of Corporate Treasurers Willis Corroon Prize for overall course & examination result: 1994
- ACA, ICAEW: 1988.
Multiple presentations, chairing etc 2006 – 2016.