Mark is an experienced international economist who has led teams, providing analysis and insights to both corporate and retail banking customers. Currently he is a Senior Adviser to KPMG on environment, social and corporate governance (ESG) and climate risk.
He has over 30 years’ experience with major international banks. Having spent over 20 years as Chief Economist and Global Head or Research at ING Group, he created and led the New Horizons Hub – analysing disruptive change, climate risk and digital finance.
Mark is regular conference speaker and his work features in the international media.
Macroeconomics, behavioural economics, scenario planning, climate risk, ESG strategy, digital finance.
- Senior Adviser, KPMG UK: 2021 to present
- Global Head of the New Horizons Hub, ING Group: 2020–21
- Head of Global Research and Chief Economist, ING Group: 2006–20
- Global Head of Research, ING Financial Markets: 1998–2020
- Chief International Economist, HSBC Markets: 1994–98
- Chief Economist, Nomura Research Institute Europe: 1987–94
- Chief Economist, ANZ Merchant Bank/stockbrokers Capel-Cure Myers: 1982–87
- International Economist, Overseas Containers Limited: 1980–82.
MA Double First in Economics, Christ's College, Cambridge.
Member of the Advisory Board, Nimbus Ninety Network Adviser, Helmsley Partners.
Visit Mark Cliffe’s LinkedIn profile
- Associate Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
- Society of Professional Economists (UK)
- National Association of Business Economists (US)
- Former Leadership Council Member Brookings Institute.