Massimo Carnelos is a specialist in political affairs, governmental relations and financial service,s with extensive executive, board, committee and investment experience.
In his current role as Head of the Economic Section at the Embassy of Italy in London, Massimo leads his team in the development of the UK–Europe/Italy economic relationship, to provide direction, analysis and reporting, engaging with key stakeholders in business and with institutions. During the Brexit process, he aligned policymakers, market authorities and economic and financial service organisations – using his technical expertise to guide the transformation of the regulatory framework and safeguard economic and financial co-operation between UK and Europe.
At the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), he takes part in all decisions related to approving more than €10bn investment projects each year. He’s also involved in strategy, operations and policy and a member of several committees. He also contributes to:
- championing the EBRD’s role as international financial institution through relations with G7, G20, EU and other multilateral development banks
- policy engagement with key stakeholders
- private market development, and
- market-oriented policy reforms.
Governmental affairs and relations, regulatory affairs, public affairs, financial services, fintech and crypto-digital finance, strategic communications, policy planning and analysis, private equity and venture capital, asset management.
- Head of the Economic Section, Embassy of Italy, London: 2018 – present
- Alternate Executive Board Director, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), London: 2018 – present
- Head of the Research, Policy Planning Unit, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation, Rome: 2014–18
- Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Italy, Baghdad: 2012–14
- Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Italy, Nicosia: 2008–12
- Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Italy, Wellington: 2004–08
- Deputy Head for International Scientific & Technological Co-operation, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Rome: 2001–04
- Adviser for International Affairs, Presidency of the Council of Ministers of Italy, Rome: 2001
- Press Assistant, General Secretariat at Council of the European Union, Brussels: 2000
- Research Assistant, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, Copenhagen: 1999 – 2000.
- Banking and Digital Finance Series, University College London (UCL): 2019
- Post Academic Specialisation, Protection of Fundamental Human Rights, University of Rome: 1998
- MA, University of Rome: 1993.
Italian, English, French.
Several publications in political science magazines.
Public speaker, regularly contributing to media coverage and knowledge-sharing with the peer community on topics, including financial regulation, Brexit, fintech and crypto/digital assets, venture capital, private equity, new technologies and start-ups.
View Massimo Carnelos’ LinkedIn profile
- Member of Advisory Board of the Economic and Commercial Diplomacy Advisory Group (ECDAG) London
- Board Member of the Association of Economic Representatives London (AERL)
- Venture Partner of Silicon Roundabout Ventures (SRV), London
- Member of Advisory Board of the Italians’ Private Capital Association (IPCA), London
- Honorary Vice President of the Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in the UK.