Richard held a number of positions at NatWest and the Royal Bank of Scotland including Head of Strategy for the Retail Bank and Head of Internet and Telephony. He then led Strategy, Propositions and Investor Relations at Monitise, an international mobile banking software business.
With his combination of large and small company experience, Richard is now an independent advisor to a range of businesses on their fintech strategies, as well as writing industry research and delivering executive education.
MSc, Management Science, Imperial College, London: 1984
BA, Mathematics, St. John’s College, Oxford: 1983
Associate, Chartered Institute of Bankers: 1982
RJ Digital: 2015 – present
Monitise PLC. Roles included Strategy Director, Head of Propositions, Head of Investor Relations: 2006 – 2015
- Head of Internet & Telephony RBS & NatWest Retail: 2002 – 2006
- Head of Strategy & Channel Development, NatWest Retail Marketing: 2000 – 2002
- Chief Operating Officer, NatWest Investments: 1996 – 2000
- Senior Branch Manager: 1993 – 1996
- Internal Consultancy: 1984 – 1992
Fintech; Open Banking; Digital Banking, Payments & Commerce; Financial Services Markets & Ecosystem; Go-To-Market Planning; Start-up & growth cycles; Digital technology trends; Digital Transformation; Strategic planning.
Recent consulting assignments have included:
- Payments strategy for a US bank
- Open Banking strategy for an International Card Scheme
Fintech opportunities for a payments software business
Open Banking opportunities for a mobile security business
English - native
View Richard Johnson's LinkedIn profile