Dr Claire McCafferty
Director of Studies
Claire is our Director of Studies. She's always had a keen interest in finance and studied Financial Services as her first degree, gaining a first class honours.
On graduation, Claire secured a position on the HSBC Operations Graduate Programme where she gained experience in a variety of departments both in the UK and overseas. She was fortunate to have enjoyed a varied career spanning more than a decade with HSBC, before deciding to pursue a career in academia to fulfil her desire to teach.
Over the last eight years in academia, Claire has taught and managed courses both in the UK and overseas. She has also worked with professional bodies as a tutor and co-ordinated and delivered apprenticeship learning to large public and private sector organisations.
Financial regulation, regulatory risk management, financial markets, management of financial institutions, financial services decision making and planning.
- External Examiner, University of the West of Scotland: 2020 – present
- External Examiner, Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, Malaysia: 2019 – present
- Senior Lecturer, University of Bedfordshire: 2019–21
- Lecturer, University of Bedfordshire: 2018–19
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Bedfordshire: 2017–18
- Associate Lecturer – including teaching overseas at Yunnan University of Finance and Economics – Edinburgh Napier University: 2013–17
- HSBC Bank plc, a variety of roles – including leadership and project management in global operations
- retail and wealth management, global headquarters and commercial banking: 2001–14
- BA (Hons), Financial Services, Edinburgh Napier University: 2007
- DipHE, Financial Markets and Management, The London Institute of Banking and Finance: 2010
- PgCert, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Edinburgh Napier University: 2015
- PhD, ‘The relationship between demographic variables and consumer confidence levels in the rationales for regulation: a quantitative study of Scottish retail banking consumers’, Edinburgh Napier University: 2020.
- Professional Development Course for External Examiners, Higher Education Academy, 2020
- Autism and SPELL in Higher Education, The National Autistic Society, 2020
- Certified Fintech Practitioner, The London Institute of Banking and Finance, 2021
View Dr Claire McCafferty's LinkedIn profile
- Fellow, The Higher Education Academy
- Certified Management and Business Educator, Chartered Association of Business Schools.